Sunday 24 October 2010

The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell

To my surprise, I enjoyed reading this particular book over the past few weeks.  I found it incredibly interesting, and at first - I had no idea why!  When I properly thought about why this book appealed to me I realised that it was because it exceptionally explained how tipping points occur in society.

I have realised that epidemics don't have to be a type of disease, nor do they need to be negative.  Epidemics can be applied to society, and they can even be a good thing, for example- the reduction of crime in New York City in the 1990's.  It was through processes such a 'the broken windows theory' and the 'arresting of fare-beaters'  that crime within the subways of New York was controlled, and later resolved.  Despite graffiti and fare-beating being classified as 'minor' crimes, it were these crimes that caused the 'knock on effect' of crime.  When one person was seen not paying for the subway, the rest of the population followed, because the act was deemed acceptable. 

I gained a lot of information from all the chapters in the book, so I decided that I would produce individual mind maps of each chapter.

Here is my mind map for the introduction:






No comments:

Post a Comment