Friday 15 April 2011

assignment five- summer reading and other plans (part b)

As it is important to integrate design into our everyday lives, I want to make it a priority to read appropriate books, keep up to date with my blog and connect with others throughout the summer period.  

My plans are as follows:


Reading.
'Interior Design Drawing' by Alan Hughes
As an interior designer, it is important to understand how to illustrate and convey your ideas in a way in which others can fully understand.  Reading this book should hopefully inspire me to come up with other ways to illustrate my work.

'Outliers' by Malcolm Gladwell
After gaining so much insight from 'The Tipping Point' by Malcolm Gladwell in the beginning of the academic year, I thought this book by the same author would be an appropriate read.  As the book examines factors that contribute to high levels of success, for example how Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates achieved his wealth, I thought this book would be encouraging and innovative.

'The Total Beauty Of Sustainable Products' by Edwin Datschefski
As sustainability is becoming part of the design vocabulary, I feel that is it essential to become acquainted with the world of sustainability.  I am aware that we need to optimise the benefits for the economy, and the benefits for the environment.  In the past it seems like the environment has come second to the profit, but unless we have the economy, society and environment working together we can't have a sustainable future.

'Sustainable Design: Toward a New ethic in Architecture and Town Planning' by Marie-Helene Contal-Chavannes and Jana Revdin
This book should hopefully provide me with appropriate insight into the work of the international Global Award for sustainable architecture prizewinners.

'Sustainable Urban Design: An environmental approach' by Randall Thomas and Adam Richie
As it is thought that 3/4 of the worlds population will be urban by the end of the 21st century, it is important to ensure cities are healthy and sustainable.  This book will set out some of the basic principles of the design of our future cities.



Blog.
Personalisation
Time needs to be spent adding personal touches to my blog to enhance its uniqueness. 

Contact details
I must include an email address/contact number as well as details about what my intentions within the design world are.

Adding a portfolio
It is crucial to show what you as a designer are all about.  Providing a portfolio will allow viewers to view/comment on any previous or current projects.

More blog posts
I want to become more disciplined in sharing my design ideas and thoughts with the outside world.  I guess the best way to do this is to keep more up to date with my blog posts.

Documentation
Documentation of relevant/interesting designs throughout the world is a way of keeping up to date with design all over the world.  I want to be forced to have an opinion on new design ideas.  This should hopefully allow me to gain more knowledge within my discipline.


Connect.
Twitter
Getting a twitter account is essential if I want to follow any current/up-coming designers.

Fourth year IED students
Connecting with students within my own disapline who are soon to begin their final year on the course should give me great insight into what is to come for me after another year.

Design students in other countries
Using twitter and my email, I want to be able to see what other design students are getting up to. I want to be able to talk to them about my own work.  Who knows, we might even have skype calls in order to show/describe our projects in more detail.

Architectural/interior design companies
Connecting with potential employers should allow me to find out the criteria for employment. Companies may be able to give me information what they look for in a designer.

Students within other disciplines
Textiles, Jewellery making, Graphic design, Illustration, Animation, Time based art and Fine art are some of the other disciplines within DJCAD that I could potentially connect with.  Meeting up with students from other disciplines could provide me with inspiration within some of my projects.







1 comment:

  1. Sustainable Urban Design: An environmental approach by Randall Thomas and Adam Richie

    Such a good book!

    ReplyDelete