Thursday 15 March 2012

Music: a type of creative art form

As part of my ‘Piano Grade 7 Trinity Guildhall’ examination, I performed a piece of music known as ‘Puck no.3 from Lyric Pieces op.71′ by the composer Edvard Grieg (1843-1907).
The piece of music has a driving rhythm from the outset -overtop of which the main theme is played.  The theme begins with frantic swirls that alternate with a light and playful rhythm.
The following video will let you hear ‘Puck no.3 from Lyric Pieces op.71′.  In the video it is performed by Iskra Mantcheva in Oslo, 2009.
When I first performed this piece of music, I couldn’t help but notice the degree of collaboration, particularly within the chord progression.  With this in mind I was able to identify a connection between the music and the idea of collaboration.  Both art forms share similar characteristics.
I decided to annotate the manuscript of the piece to visually emphasise the collaborative elements:
I was able to identify that from bar 22 – bar 36 there are escalating chord progressions as the chords move up the piano.  The combination of dynamics between the crescendo’s and diminuendo’s only emphasise the degree of collaboration in this section.
To further my research based on the identification of 2 creative art forms, I constructed an emotive image using black ink.  The image represents the collaboration between music and a variety of artistic disciplines.


1 comment:

  1. Have you come across graphical scores before?

    Also you might be interested in a piece of software called Metasynth which uses images to produce sound - I love it. Not cheap but the demo's worth playing with...

    ReplyDelete